Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Register Now' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Galveston IronManTriathlon needs safety kayak volunteers
Sunday, April 8, 2018
To register please go to http://ironman.volunteerlocal.com/volunteer/?id=25815 and select "Kayaks"
Members pay for their own charges
Volunteers needed for on-water safety for the Memorial Herman IronMan 70.3
This event will consist of supporting a large number of swimmers on a 1.2 mile swim.
On-water safety volunteers will offer support for swimmers needing a rest or swimmers in distress. Swimmers may also need to be directed back to the course. You may be paddling among the swimmers to provide assistance. Good paddling and boat control skills are required. You may need to brace to prevent capsize when a swimmer grabs your boat. You will normally present the bow of your kayak to the swimmer to minimize the chance of capsize. You will need to sign a waiver when you signup. You will be covered by their insurance including liability, injury, etc.
- 1.2-miles from Moody Gardens to Colonel Paddlewheel boat dock in Offats Bayou
- About 2700 participants starting in waves 5 minutes apart.
- Expect water temperature of about 72 degrees.
Launch and Paddle to Moody Gardens
We will put-in at the Washington Park boat ramp on 61st street just south of I-45. From Houston, take I-45 South to Galveston, take the 61st Street exit and turn right onto 61st street. In about one block turn into Washington Park just before the bridge.
Be prepared to be on the water at 5:45 AM. We will paddle over to Moody Gardens as a group. I will bring glow sticks to attach to your kayak. Our destination is the beach at Moody Gardens which is on the East edge to the park and just past the long Moody Gardens pier.
Guidelines for Assisting Swimmers (from meeting with event leaders)
- Be vigilant of the swimmers in your zone. Don't get distracted by an incident you are not directly involved with.
- Be aware of all swimmers around you when paddling among them.
- Use throw cushion if you can't easily get to the swimmer or swimmer to you.
- Always present the bow of your kayak to the swimmer to minimize chance of capsize.
- Rudders should be up to reduce the chance of injury to a swimmer and to improve your maneuverability.
- Position kayak in front of swimmers heading off course.
- Do not use whistle except for signaling other safety personnel as described in briefing.
- Stay in your zone until the last swimmer goes by. Then you can follow the swimmers to the finish.
- Signal for assistance if you capsize and can't self-rescue.
We will start our paddle in the dark. There could be boat traffic in area on the way over to Moody Gardens and back. Swimmers may be desperate or panicked as you approach them. They could flip you over when grabbing onto the side of your kayak.
Schedule - It is essential that you be on time for this event.
Arrive in time to be in the water ready to paddle at 5:45 AM
- 5:15 – 5:45 Unload and prepare kayaks for launch
- 5:45 - 6:15 Paddle to Moody Gardens
- 6:15 – 6:35 Briefing on procedures and safety
- 6:35 – 7:00 Launch and paddle to your assigned zone
- 7:00 – 9:00 Swimming event.
- 10:00.. Breakfast (optional)
Gear You Bring
- Required: Kayak*, Paddle, PFD (must be worn). You must have a readily accessible whistle. Those with decked kayaks should have a spray-skirt and bilge pump
- Bring if you have: VHF radio, spare paddle, tow belt, paddle float.
- Dress appropriately for weather, conditions and water temperature (73-75 degrees)
THIS ACTIVITY IS ORGANIZED BY A THIRD PARTY AND IS NOT ORGANIZED, SANCTIONED OR ENDORSED BY HASK, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MEMBERS OR INSURERS. HASK MAKES NO CLAIM AS TO THE SUITABILITY OF THIS EVENT OR THE RELIABILITY, EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS OF THE ORGANIZER(S), AND HASK AND ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MEMBERS, AND INSURERS ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE TO ANY PARTICIPANT. ALL PARTICIPANTS PARTICIPATE AT THEIR OWN RISK.